J&K Governor N.N. Vohra, the man in the hot seat President Ram Nath Kovind has approved the imposition of Governor’s rule in Jammu and Kashmir with immediate effect, a senior government official said on Wednesday.Also Read Governor N.N Vohra sent a report to Union Home Ministry on Tuesday evening recommending Central rule in the State after Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti submitted her resignation soon after the BJP pulled out of the alliance with the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).As Mr. Kovind is on a three-nation tour, the proposal was sent to Suriname, his current stop.“When the Governor sent the proposal on Tuesday evening, the President was already in transit from Athens to Suriname. As soon as he touched down in Paramaribo, he signed the recommendation giving his assent to Governor’s rule in J&K,” said the official.
The Supreme Court on Friday allowed seven more girls, who were at the Muzaffarpur shelter home where allegations of sexual assault surfaced last year, to reunite with their families. The top court had earlier allowed eight girls, out of 44 in all, to be reunited their families but only six of them have been able to do so. TISS project‘Koshish’ — a field action project of TISS — in its report told the court that 12 more girls, besides these 15, have been identified to be restored with their families. Several girls were reportedly sexually assaulted at the NGO-run shelter home in Bihar. The issue had come to light following a report by TISS, which had conducted a social audit. A Bench of Justices N.V. Ramana and Krishna Murari said that as and when their families are identified and the verification done, these girls can be reunited with them. Counsel for TISS told the Bench that out of the eight girls, only six have so far been restored with their families. It asked the State Child Protection Societies of West Bengal, Assam, Jharkhand, Uttarakhand and Punjab to provide all necessary help to identify and verify the family members of the girls. The Bench clarified that it cannot monitor the restoration on day-to-day basis but in case of any problem, the matter could be mentioned for hearing. On September 12, the apex court had allowed eight of the 44 girls of Muzaffarpur shelter home to be reunited with their families. The top court had directed the Bihar government to provide all necessary financial and medical assistance to these eight girls identified by ‘Koshish’ as fit for being sent to their families.It had also directed the State government to assess the compensation liable to be paid to the girls under the victim compensation scheme and submit a report to the court in eight weeks. The decision came after TISS filed its report before the SC in a sealed cover, saying the eight girls were fit to be handed over to their families.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
Rhodes, who is set to join a newer cast this season, expressed his excitement playing alongside the likes of spitfire guard Terrence Romeo and versatile forward Christian Standhardinger among others.Rhodes said his biggest motivation will be making up for not being able to help San Miguel defend its crown last year.“I’m pissed off and I’m gonna use that on the court and I will just give everything I got on the court to make sure I [get back] my crown,” he said.Meanwhile, Ben Simmons is set to play for Australia at the Fiba World Cup after confirming in an online video “I’m going to be a Boomer” for upcoming events.Simmons’ NBA season ended when his Philadelphia 76ers were knocked out of the Eastern Conference semifinals on Kawhi Leonard’s Game 7-ending buzzer-beater for Toronto.ADVERTISEMENT Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP View comments The NBA All-Star told his fans to stay tuned about upcoming events in the video he posted on Twitter but he later confirmed on Weibo, the Chinese social media channel, that he was “looking forward to representing my country Australia” in the World Cup. He’s likely to join the likes of Patty Mills, Andrew Bogut and Matthew Dellavedova in Australia’s squad for the World Cup, which starts on Aug. 31 in China. —WITH A REPORT FROM APSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue MOST READ DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport Defending champs rule Petron race Rhodes, who averaged averaged 28.4 points and 10.5 boards during that stint, revealed that he actually mulled rejoining San Miguel the previous season, but something more important cropped up.“I had a daughter,” he said with a smile. “I just had to be home for her and my wife.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsWithout Rhodes, San Miguel had to opt for its old reliable from its sister team at the Asean Basketball League, NBA-tested Renaldo Balkman.The Beermen lost the title to the Gin Kings in six games. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too LATEST STORIES Pnoto by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netSan Miguel Beer is leaving nothing to chance, tapping the services of American Charles Rhodes anew in a bid to regain the PBA Commissioner’s Cup from the clutches of its sister team, Barangay Ginebra.“I’ve always wanted to come back,” said Rhodes, who was an essential cog in San Miguel’s championship run in the midseason conference in 2017. “It just feels like my second home.”ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess