Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion I see once again the city of Saratoga Springs has banned the sale of guns at the City Center. While they are at it, they should also pass a law banning the sale of guns any place in the city. I feel since the city of Saratoga Springs thinks that gun sales are the problem, then all legal gun owners should stop spending any of their money in Saratoga Springs.Since they don’t want the gun show, then they don’t want gun owners in their city. Anyone who thinks that stopping people from owning guns didn’t watch the news when they took a truck and ran into crowds in New York City, Paris, etc.I had to do an investigation at work where an individual killed 89 people using gasoline and a match. They will find a way, no matter what you can do.ROBERT ZURLOBroadalbinMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesGov. Andrew Cuomo’s press conference for Sunday, Oct. 18EDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?
A South Korean farmers’ cooperative said on Thursday it has clinched a $150 million deal to barter sugar for North Korean liquor and food products, bypassing sanctions banning cash transfers.The deal, brokered by a Chinese company, was signed in June with five North Korean trading firms, an official for the cooperative said, though it still needs approval from Seoul’s Unification Ministry, which oversees inter-Korean affairs.Under the terms, North Korea would swap 240 products -including its signature ginseng and blueberry liquors, crackers, candies, teas and health supplements – for 167 tons of sugar from the South, said Oh Hyun-kyung, the cooperative official. Topics : “The North wanted sugar as they were having difficulty importing raw materials due to sanctions and the coronavirus pandemic,” Oh told Reuters, saying shipments could begin later this month.Oh said Korea Kaesong Koryo Insam Trading Corporation, a North Korean firm specializing in ginseng and health products, was one of the parties in the deal.Unification Minister Lee In-young had suggested before taking office late last month that bartering South Korean food and medicines for North Korean liquor and mineral water could be a first step toward normalizing exchanges.South Korea is pushing to restart inter-Korean cooperation without breaching international sanctions banning financial transactions with North Korea, imposed over its nuclear and missile programs. South Korea on Thursday approved plans to donate $10 million to fund U.N. World Food Program (WFP) efforts to aid North Korean children and women.”The decision would be a starting point for our plans to consistently pursue humanitarian cooperation without linking it to political and military issues,” Lee said.Seoul has bankrolled various WFP and U.N. Children’s Fund projects in the North in recent years.
Arsenal players tell board not to appoint Mikel Arteta and demand Carlo Ancelotti instead Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterMonday 16 Dec 2019 10:50 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link8kShares Mikel Arteta is the frontrunner to be named Arsenal’s next manager (Picture: Getty)A number of Arsenal players have approached the club’s board to voice concerns about the Gunners’ proposed appointment of Mikel Arteta.The Spaniard held talks with club officials in Manchester late on Sunday night to discuss a move to the Emirates and Metro.co.uk understands a deal is close to being completed.Arteta was a candidate to replace Arsene Wenger in 2018 but was ‘heartbroken’ when the Gunners decided to appoint Unai Emery instead.The 37-year-old spent five years in north London and managing the club is believed to be his ‘dream job’.ADVERTISEMENTHowever, a deal could be scuppered after several senior players raised concerns about the Spaniard’s lack of experience and whether he has the credentials to manage such a big club in his first steps into management. Comment Advertisement Ancelotti was sacked by Napoli last week (Picture: Getty)While there is a great level of respect for Arteta, the Mirror claims the squad are in agreement that they need an experienced manager and Carlo Ancelotti is said to be their favoured choice.AdvertisementAdvertisementThe Italian has won three Champions League titles during his trophy-laden career and his wealth of experience is said to appeal to senior members of the squad.However, Ancelotti is believed to be in talks with Everton and Arsenal would have to move quickly to avoid the former Chelsea boss moving to Goodison Park.Regardless, Arteta remains the club’s first choice and the Spaniard was expected to hold a second round of talks with club officials on Monday night after impressing in their previous meeting.MORE: Manchester United beaten by Manchester City to Barcelona star Juan Larios after refusal to match offer
Last week, the regulator launched a consultation on its oversight of the DB market to better account for the current low interest rate environment and growing maturity of many funds.The consultation on the new code of practice, open until early February, will also seek to incorporate the regulator’s new statutory objective requiring it to have a “regard for the growth prospects of companies”.The CBI’s survey polled 226 chief executives and board members in companies with £362.2bn (€432.2bn) of pension assets under management.Some 70% of survey respondents with DB schemes reported that the cost of the schemes was having an impact on business investment, with that percentage rising to 78% among manufacturers.Nearly half of respondents (46%) said operating a DB scheme was restricting their ability to borrow, and six out of 10 companies said employer debt regulations were hampering internal corporate restructurings, M&A activity and asset sales.But the survey also found that DB provision seemed to have stabilised following the financial crisis, with 64% of companies saying they did not plan to make any changes to it.However, some 88% of respondents were concerned about the prospect of contributions going up in their next funding agreement with trustees.The survey also found that the number of respondents dissatisfied with the Pensions Regulator’s dealings with their company had more than doubled to 28% from 12% in a 2011 survey.Eight out of 10 businesses said they had yet to see a change in behaviour from the regulator or trustees since the introduction of the new statutory objective. The cost of running a defined benefit (DB) pension scheme is stifling the investment plans of seven out of 10 UK businesses offering them, according to a survey by the CBI and Standard Life Investments.The Pensions Regulator’s new target to minimise the negative effect of scheme funding has had no effect yet, and it needs to change the way it deals with employers and pension scheme trustees, the CBI said.Neil Carberry, director of employment and skills at the organisation, said: “The cost of DB schemes is having a serious adverse impact on business investment, which must be the cornerstone of our economic recovery if we are to achieve sustainable growth.“The regulator needs to raise its game and ensure that a material change in its day-to-day dealings with employers and trustees flows from its new legal duty.”
Joemarie Vargas, head of the City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO), said the fourth victim, Gio Paulo Cabrillos, managed to survive the incident.The four were swimming in the river when the strong current brought by a heavy downpour late Wednesday afternoon carried them downstream. BY DOMINIQUE GABRIEL BAÑAGABACOLOD City – An 18-year-old lass was confirmed dead while two others remained missing after they were swept away by rampaging waters while bathing in the river in Barangay Mandalagan. Members of the Talisay City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office check the lifeless body of 15-year-old Janet Rodriguez. She was swept away by rampaging waters while bathing in the river in Barangay Mandalagan, Bacolod City on July 15, 2020. TALISAY CDRRMO The fatality was identified as 15-year-old Janet Rodriguez, a resident of Purok Santol in the said village. Authorities were still trying to locate two other victims – Jharen Pahilagao and Carl Gabriel Cabrillo. Gio told authorities he managed to survive after his sibling, Carl, pushed him to the riverbank.The CDRRMO immediately conducted a search and rescue operation for the three, but it was later suspended due to the evening darkness.Around 5 a.m. on Thursday, the body of Rodriguez was recovered by local fishermen in Barangay Zone 15 in Talisay City, Negros Occidental.Vargas said search and retrieval operation continued Thursday for the remaining victims./PN
The announcement came 12 days after Red Star faced city rivals Partizan Belgrade in front of a crowd of around 16,000 people, the largest gathering of that kind in Europe since the beginning of the pandemic.The Serbian government has been loosening lockdown rules and earlier this month it announced that open-air gatherings with an unlimited amount of people would be allowed.But coverage from television channel RTS appeared to show little sign of health guidelines in place at the match with Partizan as well as at other league games.Following the final match of the season against Proleter on Saturday, Red Star Belgrade celebrated winning the Serbian title with more than 10,000 of their fans.At least four of the five players did not play in that last match as they had felt coronavirus symptoms ahead of it, the club said.“The players feel well and are in strict isolation and in permanent contact with the medical team of the club,” Red Star said in a statement.Two weeks after it declared it was coronavirus-free, Serbia’s neighbour Montenegro last week reported new cases of coronavirus, with authorities blaming citizens who attended the match in Belgrade and brought the virus back over the border.Red Star Belgrade players celebrate their Serbian league title on Saturday. Five players from the club have tested positive for coronavirusRead Also: La Liga hopes to welcome fans back under strict guidelines“It is clear that the departure of our citizens to the football derby played in Belgrade has brought us to the situation we have today,” the head of the main hospital in Montenegro capital Podgorica Jevto Erakovic said on Thursday.The Serbian league resumed on May 29, initially behind closed doors, before the government further eased restrictions. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Five players from Serbian club Red Star Belgrade have tested positive for coronavirus after playing several matches attended by thousands of people, the club said Monday.Advertisement Loading…
RelatedPosts Ighalo: My best moment as ‘Red Devil’ EPL: Crystal Palace stun sloppy Man U EPL: Red Devils attack Palace Patrice Evra has returned to Manchester United in a youth coaching capacity while he undertakes his UEFA coaching badges. The former France international spent eight years at Old Trafford from 2006 to 2014, where he won the Premier League on three occasions as well as the Champions League and is now back to share his experience and knowledge with the young players from United’s academy. Evra, 38, is helping under-18 coach Neil Ryan on the training pitch with a very talented squad which include two French players – new signing Hannibal Mejbri and forward Noam Emeran. He had his first day at the club’s training ground in Carrington on Tuesday. Evra courted controversy towards the end of his career. He saw his contract with Marseille terminated after he kicked one of his own fans before a Europa League match away at Guimaraes in November 2017. He then spent six months at West Ham before announcing his retirement. Since then, he has been a prominent figure on social media. However, his ambition was always to come back to United, a place he calls home, and be involved with the academy while doing his coaching badges. He is looking to become a first team manager in the near future. Evra courted further controversy in March when he celebrated United’s dramatic victory over Paris Saint-Germain, and was later recorded using anti-gay language in relation to the Ligue 1 side.Tags: Manchester UnitedPatrice EvraPremier LeagueUEFA
Hull have recalled Jack Hobbs from his season-long loan at Nottingham Forest, despite the defender apparently being on the verge of signing a permanent deal at the City Ground. Hobbs has played 27 times for Forest after being deemed surplus to requirements by Tigers boss Steve Bruce and, with other Sky Bet Championship sides alerted by his good form, talks were opened over a transfer this month. It appeared a done deal when Forest chairman Fawaz Al Hasawi tweeted that terms had been agreed, while Bruce wished the player well in his future, but a six-week injury to James Chester appears to have prompted the rethink. Chester’s absence, coupled with Bruce’s preference for three central defenders, means Hobbs now has a realistic chance to pit his Premier League credentials against the likes of Paul McShane and Abdoulaye Faye. He has already been back in training with Hull but is ineligible for Saturday’s FA Cup fourth-round clash at Southend having already played in the competition for Forest. The decision to bring 25-year-old Hobbs back to the KC Stadium would cost Hull a fee of close to £1million, but with top-flight survival an invaluable goal Bruce will consider that an acceptable loss should Hobbs play a part. Press Association
Ryan Giggs has been named as Manchester United’s caretaker manager following David Moyes’ sacking. Press Association “The club will make no further comment on this process until it is concluded.” United will try to move quickly to install a permanent replacement for Moyes. Van Gaal is the favourite to take over, with another potential candidate, Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp, out of the picture. United are determined not to make the same mistake as last summer when Moyes did not take over until the start of July, meaning a big chunk of the transfer window had already passed. Van Gaal’s credentials make it clear why he is a strong contender – he won the 1995 Champions League as coach of Ajax, has won Spanish league titles with Barcelona and reached the 2010 Champions League final as well as winning the Bundesliga with Bayern Munich. He is also used to working with big-name players and attracting big signings – neither of which were part of Moyes’ track record. Van Gaal has also made it clear that he will be looking to move on from being Holland head coach after the World Cup. Klopp has been touted as a candidate for the top jobs in European football, most recently as the next Barcelona head coach, but he wasted little time in ruling himself out of the Manchester United job. The 46-year-old told The Guardian: “Man United is a great club and I feel very familiar with their wonderful fans. But my commitment to Borussia Dortmund and the people is not breakable.” Klopp, who agreed a new contract at the Bundesliga club until 2018 back in October, said last week that he was “still in love” with Dortmund. Bookmakers have slashed the odds on Van Gaal from 8-1 to clear 11-4 favourite. The 40-year-old, who was player-coach under Moyes, will be in charge until a permanent replacement is appointed – with Holland boss Louis van Gaal the front-runner. The club said in a statement: “Following the departure of David Moyes as manager, Manchester United has announced that Ryan Giggs, the club’s most decorated player, will assume responsibility for the first team until a permanent appointment can be made.
Published on December 22, 2015 at 11:51 pm Related Stories Grade Syracuse’s performance against Montana State and vote for the player of the gameChinonso Obokoh turns in career game with 11 points against Montana StateDajuan Coleman scores a season-high 13 points against Montana StateBackup guards Kaleb Joseph and Frank Howard flash potential in win over Montana StateSyracuse community reacts to win over Montana State Comments Facebook Twitter Google+