Doctor nursing home asked to pay Rs 20L as compensation

first_imgKolkata: State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission has directed Roy Nursing Home in West Midnapore and a doctor to pay Rs 20 lakh as compensation to the family members of a patient who died of medical negligence.The incident took place in November 2013 when the victim, Banamali Samanata, was taken to Dr T K Biswas, a local doctor from Rabindra Nagar in the same district after he complained of severe abdominal pain. A resident of Barmunibgarh village under Kharagpur police station, Samanta was asked to take admission to Roy Nursing Home. After the patient was admitted to the nursing home under Dr Biswas, various clinical tests were performed on him. Medical tests confirmed that the patient had gallbladder stone and CBD stone as well. Dr Biswas conducted a surgery on the 59-year-old patient at the nursing home. Following the surgery, the patient started vomiting and also complained of respiratory problems. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeThe family members of the patient informed the doctors about the deterioration of his health condition. The doctor told the family members that this was nothing unusual and his condition would improve in the next few days. Prasenjit Samanta, the victim’s son, said the patient was released from the nursing home on November 14 after which he developed serious complications. He complained of severe respiratory distress accompanied by vomiting. When his family tried to readmit him to that nursing home for the second time, admission was denied. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedOn November 16, the family members rushed him to Midnapore Medical College and Hospital where USG and several others tests revealed that the CBD stone had not been removed then and the patient had already developed sepsis due to lack of proper treatment. The patient was later shifted to a private hospital near EM Bypass where another surgery was conducted. The efforts went in vain as he died of sepsis on December 10. The patient’s family later started a case with the State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (SCDRC) in September 2014.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *