Email Facebook Previous articleOvernight fire at Limerick Prison containedNext articleLingerie thief had designs on ladies underwear admin WhatsApp Advertisement by Andrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A Limerick woman who threatened to blow a Garda’s head off with a imitation gun is now “in the last chance saloon”, a judge has warned.Judge Carroll Moran told 22-year-old Belinda O’Sullivan at Limerick Circuit Court that she had come to the end of the line and she was now in the last chance saloon in relation to her behaviour and pattern of regular offending.Ms O’Sullivan, with an address at the Travelodge Hotel, Coonagh, threatened to blow the head off a Garda with an imitation pistol after he seized a vehicle at the hotel on the Ennis Road.Garda Gavin Fisher told the court that he was impounding the vehicle when he was approached from behind by the defendant wielding the imitation weapon.Sticking the gun into the Garda’s back, O’Sullivan shouted “give me back my car or I’ll blow your f***ing head off.”A second Garda, who was with Garda Sisher, immediately disarmed the young woman and seized the weapon. Further examination revealed that it was a cigarette lighter made to look like a vintage pistol.The court heard of Ms O’Sullivan’s lengthy list of previous convictions that stemmed from a troubled background and upbringing.Defence Counsel Mark Nicholas said “it was a joke, and a pretty bad one at that”, but his client never intended to harm anyone.Garda Fisher didn’t take the same view and retorted that “it certainly wasn’t a joke” adding that “it was a very serious matter”.He told Judge Moran that the whole experience had been “very frightening and upsetting” for him.Although described as a drug addict with a number of issues, Judge Moran was told that Ms O’Sullivan was clean from drugs since she had been in custody.Imposing a total of three years in sentences, Judge Carroll Moran said that he would suspend the jail term on the warning that she had was now in “the last chance saloon.” NewsBreaking newsPistol prank lands woman in last chance saloonBy admin – December 27, 2013 1016 Print Twitter Linkedin
Festive bonanzaSainsbury’s has announced that, for the four weeks to 25 November, sales of its mince pies were up by 120% compared to the same time last year, and sales of its iced Christmas Cake were up 75%.Online food to soarThe value of online grocery shopping is predicted to almost double to £9.5bn in the next five years, according to new research published by IGD. It looks set to represent 5.2% of the overall UK grocery market by 2015, compared to 3.2% at the moment.Kerry’s Oz dealGeneral Mills is to sell its Croissant King and van den Bergh’s frozen bakery business in Australia to Ireland-based food and ingredients firm Kerry Group. The sale includes frozen dough and pastry products sold to professional bakers under those brands, as well as two plants located in Mansfield, Queensland, and Camellia, New South Wales.Bakery rise in IndiaThe middle classes are driving bakery growth in India, according to a new study on the future of the baking industry, reported national paper The Hindu. The paper revealed there was a market for relatively new products, such as crackers and pizza, and noted the opening of a number of new outlets of foreign bakery chains across the country.
I had the chance to attend the NAFCU Strategic Growth Conference this week in San Diego for the first time, and I’m glad I did. If you’re interested in you credit union staying current in this fast changing world and growing I would put this event on your schedule next year. Make sure to reserve your place early as this year’s event was at capacity.There were some great speakers and topics which I will highlight but I must say one of the greatest benefits I’m sure most took was the conversations going on at the tables after the sessions. What a great mix of forward thinking credit union-ers sharing ideas and asking questions. I know I will be keeping an eye on the credit unions of the people I met to see the amazing things they are doing in the future.The opening speaker was Shane Snow. Shane is the chief creative officer of Contently and the autor of Smartcuts. The message he delivered was change. Specifically how to manage and spur change. The presentation was focused on three main points: Think sideways, Think simpler. Think 10X. Shane stated “It’s easier to make something 10X better then 10% better.” His message hit how with the group that no one ever changed the world by doing more of the same.The conference was structured with a mix of industry thought leaders discussing current topics with a mix in of panel discussions.Some of the highlighted topics in the presentation were; the e-branch revolution, slashing costs by partnering with other credit unions, avoiding regulatory hits to your bottom line, engaging millennials, increasing your share of digital wallets, surviving in the new world, predictive analytical decision making, and developing a member experience culture.The panel discussions focused on: case studies on fast growth in short time periods, how to make and save money for your credit union, and how to turn around a credit union that is struggling or lagging behind.As mentioned above one of the true benefits of the event was the ample time between presentations and panels for Q&A and networking. It was a lot of fun to be a part of some many great discussions on the future growth of the credit union movement.Check out all the chatter that was going on the conference hashtag #CreditUnionGrowth on twitter.Make sure to checkout the other conferences and training NAFCU has coming up this year. I will be seeing everyone again at the NAFCU 49th Annual Conference and Solutions Expo in Nashville this summer, you should too. 2SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr,Randall Smith Randall Smith is the co-founder of CUInsight.com, the host of The CUInsight Experience podcast, and a bit of a wanderlust.As one of the co-founders of CUInsight.com he … Web: www.CUInsight.com Details
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York By Timothy Bolger and Natalie ColopriscoAlana Downey, a married veteran and mother of two, moved to Long Island hoping to make a better life for her family, but instead she is struggling to survive, living paycheck to paycheck.Unable to find work in Nevada, she thought the job prospects would be better here, but things didn’t work out the way they’d hoped, and her family wound up in emergency housing. Public assistance helped for a while, although once she started making money, food stamps and rental assistance was cut off, landing her in financial limbo, where she’s one crisis away from ruin. As a veteran, she’s thankful for charities designed to help those in her position, yet she admits that asking for help still takes an emotional toll.“It’s very embarrassing to have to go to places and be like, ‘Can you help my son out with some presents?,’ ” said the 30-year-old Hempstead resident through tears as the coming holidays compounded her concerns.Her family is among the 35 percent of Long Island households that are above the poverty level but don’t make enough to keep up with the high cost of living in Nassau and Suffolk counties, according to a new study released Sunday by the nonprofit United Way of New York.The report dubbed this segment of the population ALICE, short for Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed. That is, those people who can’t make ends meet without making tough choices regarding basic necessities: food, shelter, child care, transportation and health care. For example, some are forced to forgo health care, child care, good food and even car insurance in order to pay their rent—sacrifices that put their health, safety and future at risk.“Many of us have been ALICE,” Stephanie Hoopes, director of the United Way ALICE Project, told reporters during a news conference announcing the results of the study. “Maybe we haven’t had that term before… These are people who are working at low-wage jobs, have little or no savings, and are struggling to get by.”The report found that 44 percent of all New Yorkers are ALICE or live below the federal poverty level, which is $23,834 for a family of four per year. In 2014, New York’s poverty rate was 15 percent, or 1 million, the same as the national average. While this number has remained just about the same over the last 10 years, an additional 29 percent—2.1 million households—qualify as ALICE statewide.“Defying many stereotypes, ALICE households are working households, composed of women and men, young and old, of all races and ethnicities, and they live in every county in New York—urban, suburban and rural,” the report states.In Nassau County, the poverty rate is six percent and the ALICE rate is 25 percent, while in Suffolk, it’s seven percent and 32 percent, respectively. The communities that the report cited as having the top 10 highest rates of poverty and ALICE on LI were Riverside, Northampton, Inwood, Hempstead, Calverton, Greenport, Aquebogue, Moriches, Central Islip and Mastic Beach. Overall, 267,894 LI households are struggling to make ends meet, according to the study.The report blames the phenomenon on low wage jobs dominating the local economy and the basic cost of living outpacing those wages. More than 55 percent of all jobs in New York pay less than $20 per hour, and more than half of those jobs pay between $10 and $15 per hour, it found. Those making an annual salary of roughly $30,000-$40,000 fall significantly short of the $62,000 annual household survival budget for a family of four with an infant in child care.United Way officials said they hope the study will prod policymakers to find a long-term solution to the problem. For those like Alana Downey—who has a 10-year-old son, an 8-year-old daughter and a husband who is out of work with an injury—help needs to arrive faster than the usual speed of government.“We’re in an awkward area where, yeah, I’m making money, but it’s hard,” Downey said. “It’s little things that come up, like birthdays and Christmas, or my son wants to join a sport. It’s little things that you don’t even think of until something breaks…and you don’t have any savings.”
Sydney Morning Herald 8 September 2014Christian parents who home school their children in NSW have admitted they teach creationism as part of science, despite it not being part of the state’s curriculum.Parents, teachers and students from across the state have told a parliamentary inquiry into home schooling they consider creationism, the belief that the universe was created by God, to be a valid scientific theory.Representatives from the Home Education Support and Action Network, where the majority of members are Christian, said they believed creationism and evolution should be taught as equal theories. And the four teenagers who presented evidence to the committee on Friday said they believed creationism was a valid scientific theory.At the hearing on Monday, the general manager of Australian Christian Home Schooling, Dr Terry Harding, said creationism was taught as part of science but accepted it was not a scientific theory.“There would be some of it in the science section,” he said. “We wouldn’t say that’s a scientific theory, but in the curriculum we would provide information as to the creation idea of origins and the evolutionary idea of origins.”He argued it was relevant to science because it related to the natural world and was part of a continuing scientific debate.“But in terms of scientific methodology, which is based on observation, there was no one at the beginning, whether it was the big bang or a creation, and thus it’s not scientific methodology,” he said. “However, because it relates to the natural world and science relates to the natural world, it’s relevant.”http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/home-schoolers-teaching-creationism-and-evolution-as-equal-theories-20140908-10dze3.html
Hull have recalled Jack Hobbs from his season-long loan at Nottingham Forest, despite the defender apparently being on the verge of signing a permanent deal at the City Ground. Hobbs has played 27 times for Forest after being deemed surplus to requirements by Tigers boss Steve Bruce and, with other Sky Bet Championship sides alerted by his good form, talks were opened over a transfer this month. It appeared a done deal when Forest chairman Fawaz Al Hasawi tweeted that terms had been agreed, while Bruce wished the player well in his future, but a six-week injury to James Chester appears to have prompted the rethink. Chester’s absence, coupled with Bruce’s preference for three central defenders, means Hobbs now has a realistic chance to pit his Premier League credentials against the likes of Paul McShane and Abdoulaye Faye. He has already been back in training with Hull but is ineligible for Saturday’s FA Cup fourth-round clash at Southend having already played in the competition for Forest. The decision to bring 25-year-old Hobbs back to the KC Stadium would cost Hull a fee of close to £1million, but with top-flight survival an invaluable goal Bruce will consider that an acceptable loss should Hobbs play a part. Press Association