Prisoner of Conscience Since 2001 – Why has Sweden not managed to bring Dawit Isaak home? November 22, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 At least nine journalists arrested in new round-up by security services January 13, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Eritrea The Eritrean authorities have arrested at least nine journalists in daily raids on the public media since 12 November. “On the basis of the information we recently obtained about the detention centre at Eiraeiro, we have every reason to fear for the physical safety and even for the lives of the journalists who have been detained,” Reporters Without Borders said. RSF_en Organisation Swedish prosecutors again refuse to investigate Dawit Isaak case Reporters Without Borders is appalled by a new round-up of journalists by the Eritrean government, in which at least nine state-owned media employees have been arrested since 12 November and are being held at undisclosed locations in conditions that are probably extremely harsh.“Terror reigns again among journalists in Eritrea,” the press freedom organisation said. “The government controls its people by means of lies, fear and violence, and does not tolerate anyone fleeing the country. We hope this wave of arrests will not be greeted with international indifference like the last time. The international community must intercede as a matter of urgency.”Reporters Without Borders added: “On the basis of the information we recently obtained about the detention centre at Eiraeiro, we have every reason to fear for the physical safety and even for the lives of the journalists who have been detained.”Reporters Without Borders has learned from sources in Asmara that members of the security forces have been going to the information ministry every day since 12 November and, without giving any explanation, have been questioning employees of the public media, which are housed at the information ministry.These are the public media journalists who have so far been arrested (the list is not exhaustive): Ahmed Baja of Eri-TV, Senait Tesfay of Eri-TV’s Tigrinya-language service, Paulos Kidane of Eri-TV’s Amharic-language service and Radio Dimtsi Hafash (Voice of the Broad Masses), Daniel Mussie of Radio Dimtsi Hafash’s Oromo-language service, Temesghen Abay of Radio Dimtsi Hafash’s Tigrinya-language service, Yemane Haile of the Eritrean News Agency (ENA), Fethia (surname unknown) of Eri-TV’s Arabic-language service, Simon (surname unknown) of Eri-TV and an unidentified journalist working for Eri-TV’s Arabic-language service.A local source said those arrested were taken to a detention centre called “Agip”. An Eritrean journalist living in exile told Reporters Without Borders this round-up was probably ordered with the aim of “terrorising those journalists who have not yet fled the country.”The source said: “the government is on a state of maximum alert following the recent defection of a number of veteran journalists holding key posts within the information ministry.” The detained journalists are accused of being the friends of, or being in contact with, the journalists who are now abroad, the source added. Reporters Without Borders is aware of at least six cases since the start of October of Eritrean journalists defecting after fleeing the country or requesting asylum abroad.The news of this round-up comes on the eve of the “Day of Support for Imprisoned Journalists,” which Reporters Without Borders has been organising on 23 November every year for the past 17 years. A total of 139 journalists are currently imprisoned worldwide. Eritrea, with at least 22 detained journalists, is Africa’s biggest prison for the press and the third biggest in the world, after China (with 32) and Cuba (with 23). Help by sharing this information News RSF urges Swedish judicial authorities to reverse Dawit Isaak decision News EritreaAfrica Reports EritreaAfrica April 14, 2021 Find out more to go further Receive email alerts News October 27, 2020 Find out more
EntertainmentLocalNewsWCMF 2011 WCMF 2011 – Hotter and stronger in its 15th year by: – September 19, 2011 Share Share Sharing is caring! Tweet Share 109 Views no discussions Roseau, Dominica — Since it was created in 1997, the World Creole Music Festival has prided itself as being the most indigenous of music festivals in the Eastern Caribbean, dedicated to delivering first-class performances both of the artistes on show and the spectator experience, and hope to be even more exciting, fresher, hotter and stronger when it is held between Friday 28 and Sunday 30th October, 2011 at the Windsor Park Stadium in Roseau, Dominica’s capital city.Now in its 15th year, the WCMF has captivated audiences year after year with its unique brand of quality entertainment while highlighting the various sub-genres of Creole Music including Dominica’s Cadence-lypso and Bouyon, Zouk from the French Antilles, Haitian Compas, as well as Zydecco from Louisiana and Afro-zouk from the African continent, and a wider appeal of regional and international music genres like reggae, salsa and soca/calypso. The core value of the WCMF is however to preserve the authenticity of Creole music and exposing young and upcoming acts to a world stage even while giving patrons their taste of other popular forms.The WCMF has the distinct advantage of having many of the top acts and performers of Creole music electrify audiences over these past 15 years. The long and distinguished list of artists and performers include the legendary Zouk band, Kassav; Haitian Compas pioneers Tabou Combo and Magnum Band, President Sweet Mickey, Zenglen, Buckman Experience, Carimi, T-Vice, Top Vice, among many other Haitian Compas groups; Dominica’s Lady of Song Ophelia; Exile One; Jeff Joseph and his Grammacks/New Generation, the sensational Michelle Henderson, Bouyon pioneers WCK along with other exponents of the Bouyon beat; Taxi Kweyole, Zouk Machine, Franky Vincent, Tanya St. Val, the late Patrick St. Eloi, Chiktay and Skah Shah; Buckwheat Zydecco of Lousiana; African Soukouss and afro-zouk stars like Sakis, the late Oliver Ngoma, and Loketo and Diablo Dibala. In addition to Soca and Calypso stars like Machel Montano, Roy Cape and his band, Sherwin Winchester, Square One, Krosfyah, Byron Lee & the Drongoniares and the red hot Burning Flames; reggae and dancehall acts like the Wailers, Aswad, Elephant Man, Sizzla, Beenie Man, Sean Paul, Shaggy, Beres Hammond, Morgan Heritage, Jah Cure, Steel Pulse and Luciano; and international superstar, Haitian Wycliff Jean. Over these 15 years the WCMF has seen many innovations and unique production and promotional techniques that have helped to engender a unique festival brand in Dominica, making it one of the most sought after events in the Caribbean. The sound quality, the festival atmosphere, the familiar faces of patrons from around the region, the sweet taste of various Creole Cuisines and the free spirited and care-free local festival goers make for a magical event each year at the end of October in Dominica.This year, the festival will roll out one of the most balanced and unique line-ups highlighting a blend of veteran and iconic performers including Jeff Joe of Grammacks fame; the iconic voices of Jean-Philippe Marthely and Jocelyne Beroard of Kassav fame; reggae ambassadors, Third World; Ali Campbell, the legendary voice of UB-40; Dominica’s Swinging Stars of more than 50 years; Midnight Groovers of the venerable Chubby Mark; plus the younger generation of Creole stars like Carimi and Harmonik of Haiti, WCK and Triple Kay of Dominica and Kolo Barst of Martinque; the love connections of reggae superstar Gyptian; zouk love singers Fanny, Jocelyne Labylle and Alex Catrin of the French Antilles and the husband and wife team of Bunji and Fay-Ann. That’s the magic of the WCMF 2011, hotter and stronger.The magic continues after 15 years of infectious music and the pulsating rhythms of Creole and popular world music in The Nature Island.Press ReleaseDominica Festivals Committee
For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Austin: Lewis Hamilton said Mercedes made life difficult for themselves with a cautious race strategy in the United States Grand Prix. The 33-year-old Briton, who finished third, but missed out on clinching his fifth drivers title, told reporters that he was surprised when he was called in for an early pit-stop to take advantage of a Virtual Safety Car intervention on lap 11. “It was a little bit of a surprise,” said the Mercedes man after finishing behind race winner Kimi Raikkonen in a Ferrari and Red Bull’s Max Verstappen. “And once we’d done the stop on 11, I knew I would be doing a two-stop.Also Read | IND vs WI: India win by eight wickets “We just made it so hard for ourselves. When we came out, I had to catch Kimi, I caught him, but my tyres were dead.”Then he did his stop and was catching me with fresh tyres — and then I came out, after the last stop, and had 12 seconds to catch up. It just made it so hard for us even to compete today.” He added that he was also not sure that he started the race on the best tyre. “I think it already started from Q2, that tyre was the wrong tyre to start on. We knew there was a big difference in start performance on these different tyres, yet we fell for something that we already knew was potentially not the way forward.Also Read | Ethiopian Belihu wins Airtel Delhi Half Marathon men’s race “I lost position to Kimi and then I wasn’t able to keep up because he had clean air and a better tyre. “It was definitely a lesson learned, I think, for us. Performance-wise, it wasn’t our greatest weekend, but we’ve had some incredible weekends this year. “Still, to get a third, I’m still grateful, but naturally, starting first and finishing third is never a good thing.” Despite his disappointment, Hamilton seems assured of wrapping up the title in Mexico next weekend.