OxStu ‘slammed’ as Turl Street colleges hit back

first_imgThe JCRs of Exeter, Lincoln and Je­sus have united in retaliation against an article printed last week in The Oxford Student entitled “What’s the point of… Turl Street Colleges”.JCR Presidents Ollie Munn (Lin­coln) Emily Pull and Simon Hacking (Jesus) hit out against the ar­ticle with the declaration: “Given the high standard of reporting and com­mentary that the story encapsulates, perhaps we should instead be asking ‘What’s the point of the OxStu?’”In a letter to the editor of The Ox­ford Student, the Presidents of the three colleges propose that “a fight to the death between the combined might of the Turl Street colleges and the occupants of OxStu Towers would arguably serve a greater social function, as well as, we’d like to think, providing a damn sight more enter­tainment.”The letter was inspired by controversial observations, includ­ing: “There are enough dull people in the world already. Turl Street doesn’t need to provide three colleges full of them.”Ollie Munn told Cherwell, “When the story appeared, reaction in Col­lege was divided. There were those in Lincoln who thought we should pick a fight and take on the Ox­Stu. And then there were those who thought we should just massacre the scoundrels, one by one.” He added, “Lincoln’s been at war with Brasenose since about 1549 – we know a thing or two about conflicts.”One of the article’s main criticisms was that “someone needs to reassure Turl Street’s inhabitants that the air is breathable beyond the safe confines of that cosy road.” Pull said of Exeter’s perspective on the newspa­per’s attack, “OxStu will regret this – we will take them down brick by brick if necessary, even if it means stepping out of the confines of Turl Street.”One Jesus second year said in de­fence of his turf, “I love Turl Street; it’s small but perfectly formed, more than can be said about the OUSU buildings.” Munn continued, “The OxStu can bring it on. We’ll show them what Turl Street’s made of. Tar­mac, mostly.”ARCHIVE: 5th week MT 2005last_img read more

Women’s basketball sets record

first_imgHEMPTSTEAD, N.Y. — Brogan Berry and Christine Clark combined for 49 points as the Harvard women’s basketball team knocked off Hofstra Thursday night, 73-71, to become the first team in Ivy League history to record a win in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament  (WNIT). With the victory, Harvard advances to the tournament’s second round and will now face Temple Saturday at 6 p.m. in Philadelphia.The Ivy League entered this year’s tournament a combined 0-5 in the WNIT since 2007 when it first earned an automatic bid. For Harvard, it marks the team’s first victory in three tries at the tournament and improves the program to 2-8 all-time in the postseason. The Crimson is also the only program in Ivy League history to record a win in the NCAA Tournament, and did so in 1998 when it became the only No. 16 seed to upset a No. 1 seed on either the men’s or women’s side with a 71-67 victory over Stanford.To read the full story, visit GoCrimson.com.last_img read more

Colombian Police Dismantle Two Drug-Trafficking Organizations

first_imgBy Dialogo December 23, 2011 The Colombian police reported the arrest of 15 people involved in trafficking cocaine to Central America and Europe, resulting in the dismantling of two drug-trafficking organizations. The director of the Anti-Narcotics Police, General Luis Pérez, specified that Operation Republic 60 “succeeded in unraveling a drug-trafficking network that was producing and selling cocaine ultimately destined for Central America and Europe.” Following ten months of investigation, the police succeeded in focusing in on and identifying seven people who led a “transnational network dedicated to the manufacture and sale of narcotics” from the city of Cúcuta (in northeastern Colombia, on the border with Venezuela), he explained. “Among those arrested is Juan José Ramírez, who led this criminal network and handled its contacts both in Colombia and abroad for the shipment of cocaine using private cars that he adapted with hidden compartments,” he specified. The investigators “succeeded in establishing that this criminal group had its own ‘rustic’ laboratories for producing the alkaloid, providing them with the facilities to manufacture around 20 kilos of cocaine a week,” Pérez added. On a different topic, the police commander also reported the arrest of four people who led a network for the shipment of cocaine to Central America and Europe via the export of merchandise from the ports of Santa Marta, Barranquilla, and Cartagena (in northern Colombia), on the Caribbean. Juan David Ibañez, the head of the organization, “illegally made the administrative arrangements for the merchandise to be exported, which he ‘contaminated’ at the time it was loaded into containers,” he explained. The investigation, which lasted a year, determined that this process took place every two or three months, with shipments of between 100 and 150 kg of the drug. The four arrests were made in operations carried out in the cities of Pereira (in central Colombia), Medellín (in the northwest), and Barranquilla (in the north).last_img read more

Manchester United recall Will Keane from Preston loan spell

first_img Louis van Gaal’s side have struggled to entertain this season and have netted just 22 league goals to date, with only 10 of them coming at Old Trafford. Wayne Rooney and Anthony Martial are United’s only recognised strikers after Robin van Persie, Javier Hernandez and Radamel Falcao were allowed to move on in the summer, followed by James Wilson’s exit to Brighton on a season-long loan. Manchester United have cut short Will Keane’s loan at Preston as they “needed an extra body” to bolster their goal-shy attack. Press Associationcenter_img United can recall the England Under-21s striker but have instead decided to bring back Keane, who has netted twice in 22 appearances for Sky Bet Championship outfit Preston. The 22-year-old’s sole first-team appearance for United came as a late substitute in a home loss to Blackburn on New Year’s Eve 2011, but Preston manager Simon Grayson suggests he would be in the first-team fold at Old Trafford. “(It happened) in the last 24 hours or so,” he told Sky Sports News. “United felt they needed an extra body around them. “Obviously it’s disappointing to lose Will. In the last few weeks he’s been finding his feet with us, but that is what happens when you get loan players. “We accept it. We will probably go into the market over the next few days and weeks to bring in reinforcements. Hopefully he will do well for Manchester United.” Asked if Keane could answer United’s goalscoring problems, Grayson said: “It’s a big step up. But he’s played regularly for us, he’s fit, so time will tell.” Keane won the Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year in 2010 and has spent time at loan with Wigan, QPR and Sheffield Wednesday before joining Preston on a season-long loan. last_img read more

NFL players accused of armed robbery at South Florida party

first_img May 14, 2020 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditMIAMI (AP) — Police in South Florida are trying to find New York Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker and Seattle Seahawks cornerback Quinton Dunbar after multiple witnesses accused them of an armed robbery at a party, authorities said Thursday.Miramar police issued arrest warrants for both men Thursday on four counts each of armed robbery with a firearm. Baker faces an additional four counts of aggravated assault with a firearm. The residential community is located between Fort Lauderdale and Miami.Baker, 22, and Dunbar, 27, were attending a cookout at a Miramar home Wednesday night when a fight broke out, and Baker pulled out a handgun, the warrant said. Baker, Dunbar and two other men began robbing other people at the party of thousands of dollars in cash, watches and other valuables, witnesses told investigators. NFL players accused of armed robbery at South Florida party “We are aware of the situation involving Quinton Dunbar and still gathering information,” the Seahawks said in a statement. “We will defer all further comment to league investigators and local authorities.”Dunbar spent Thursday morning on a video conference with the Seattle media for the first time since being traded from Washington to the Seahawks in March.“You just want to feel wanted at the end of the day. … I just hope to repay them with the way I carry myself as a person,” Dunbar said on the video conference.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6center_img Police said the four men then fled the home in three vehicles: a Mercedes Benz, a Lamborghini and a BMW. Witnesses said the vehicles were parked in a way that would make it easy to leave quickly, leading detectives to believe the robbery was planned. No injuries were reported.Baker and Dunbar are both from Miami.Baker was one of three first-round draft picks the Giants had last season. He was the 30th pick overall out of Georgia. He played in all 16 games, starting 15. He had 61 tackles and no interceptions. He was the last of the three New York picks in that first round. “We are aware of the situation. We have been in contact with DeAndre,” the Giants said in a statement. “We have no further comment at this time.”Dunbar signed with the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent out of Florida in 2015 and was traded to the Seahawks in March. He started 11 games last season, making 37 tackles and four interceptions. Associated Press last_img read more