BLOG: Ensuring K-12 Investment Reaches The Classroom

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter December 08, 2015 Schools That Teach,  The Blog After four years of painful cuts to public education in Pennsylvania, Governor Wolf — in his first budget — has secured a historic $350 million increase for basic (k-12) education. Where will that k-12 investment go? Earlier this year, the governor asked school districts to pick from a list of 14 evidence-based programs, assigning dollar amounts to each selection.Nearly every school district responded. Here are their top priorities:Maintain or expand high-quality early childhood education, or pre-kindergarten and full-day kindergarten programs;Reduce class sizes in elementary schools;Restore programs and personnel that were eliminated as a result of cuts made since 2010  — this means not only teachers, but other educators like guidance counselors and librarians can be re-hired, and many extra-curriculars will return to enhance learning outside the classroom.In their responses to the Department of Education, superintendents were also asked to provide clear benchmarks for measuring student performance and progress. Those include measures such as third grade reading levels, high school graduation rates, truancy rates, college matriculation and completion, and down the road for our students — employment rates and wages. All are important indicators of how schools are leveraging investment to maximize student performance and close the achievement gap.It is important to Governor Wolf that these funding impact plans enable flexibility, while also holding districts accountable for their results. With the major investment in education he has now secured, the governor believes our students will be better prepared for the 21st century workforce, which in turn, will ultimately grow Pennsylvania’s economy. By: Sarah Galbally, Deputy Secretary of Policy & Planningcenter_img BLOG: Ensuring K-12 Investment Reaches The Classroom Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolflast_img read more

The Latest: Belgian soccer asks clubs to avoid unemployment

first_imgIOC president Thomas Bach says government guidelines imposing restrictions on daily life only into next month and even President Donald Trump’s target of the “middle of April” to lift them are among the reasons why he waited so long to postpone the Tokyo Olympics.Bach says “we were in line with these developments” until World Health Organization leaders said Monday the coronavirus pandemic is accelerating.Bach and the International Olympic Committee faced mounting criticism from athletes last week for publicly supporting holding the Tokyo Games in July and August.Bach was asked on a conference call why the postponement decision came only after much of the world was in lockdown. He says “we could not see (government) measures being taken lasting until July.”___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Belgian soccer league says clubs should not apply for temporary layoffs for their players despite matches remaining suspended because of the coronavirus outbreak. The measures include a loan of 4 million euros ($4.3 million) to help pay the salaries of players and coaches.The loan will be available to clubs from the third and fourth divisions, and futsal clubs. It can be paid back without interest over two seasons.The federation also says it will negotiate a credit line for teams in the first and second division.Federation president Luis Rubiales says the federation’s doctors will be made available to help fight the coronavirus pandemic, and the national team’s hotel can be used as a hospital if necessary.___ The Kontinental Hockey League has given up on trying to reschedule its playoffs and canceled the remainder of the season.The Russia-based KHL is widely considered to be the strongest league outside the NHL. It was due to play its conference semifinals when play was suspended because of the coronavirus outbreak.Teams from Finland and Kazakhstan withdrew because of travel and safety concerns. That left the league with six teams in an eight-team bracket. The KHL tried to draw up a new playoff system and considered resuming in June and July but has now decided to focus on preparing for a 2020-21 season.League president and former Pittsburgh Penguins forward Alexei Morozov says “we consider that no one has the right to take on responsibility for people’s lives and health.”It’s unclear how or even whether a champion will be declared. The league says the board will discuss how to allocate finishing positions. The league asked clubs not to burden the government’s temporary unemployment scheme for employees forced out of work because of the lockdown measures implemented in Belgium.The league says exceptions can be made only “for urgent economic reasons.”The league also says it’s too early to decide when matches can resume.___Major League Soccer has extended its moratorium on team training through April 3 and still wants players to stay in their team’s local market. MLS has targeted May 10 as a potential return date.Team training facilities may be used only for physical therapy purposes at the direction of the team’s medical staff.___Roger Federer and his wife, Mirka, say they have donated 1 million Swiss francs ($1.02 million) “for the most vulnerable families” in Switzerland.Federer writes on his social media accounts that “these are challenging times for everyone and nobody should be left behind.” March 25, 2020 Associated Press The announcement was the first post on his Twitter and Instagram accounts in more than three weeks.Federer underwent surgery on his right knee five weeks ago and hoped to return for grass-court tournaments in June. The men’s tennis tour has since shut down because of the coronavirus pandemic.Federer says he and wife hope “others might join in supporting more families in need.”___The Spanish soccer federation has announced measures to help smaller clubs financially. Premier League teams Brighton and Bournemouth have become the first clubs to sign up to a campaign to make 100,000 free soccer tickets available to medical workers on the front line during the coronavirus outbreak.The initiative was conceived by executives at Brighton, which has committed to giving National Health Service workers 1,000 tickets for matches and has invited other clubs from the Premier League, English Football League, Scotland and Northern Ireland to join in.Bournemouth immediately followed suit, offering “a minimum of” 1,000 tickets.Brighton chief executive Paul Barber says “we feel this is a small way in which we can show our gratitude for those NHS staff on the front line who are fighting the battle on behalf of all of us and give them something to look forward to.”___ ___Athletics Australia has canceled its national track and field championships in a bid to help “flatten the curve” of the coronavirus pandemic.The decision comes a day after the Tokyo Olympics were postponed to 2021, and after the Australian championships had already been postponed.Athletics Australia chief executive Darren Gocher says he hopes the cancellation gives athletes some certainty and, combined with the Olympics being delayed 12 months, “means that our athletes now have a new goal to work toward.”The Australian government has imposed strict travel bans, and is urging people to stay at home. Bars, cafes, cinemas and restaurants have been closed, and social events are being curbed. Prime Minister Scott Morrison said no more than five people should attend weddings — including the marrying couple — and no more than 10 people should attend funerals. The Latest: Belgian soccer asks clubs to avoid unemployment ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6last_img read more