October 19, 2017 Back to overview,Home naval-today US, UAE kick off amphibious drill Iron Magic View post tag: Amphibious View post tag: Iron Magic View post tag: UAE Navy Authorities US Marines and amphibious forces were joined by armed forces of the United Arab Emirates on October 15 to start a two-week amphibious exercise called Iron Magic.Iron Magic enables regional partners to coordinate amphibious landing, infantry training, military operations in urban terrain (MOUT), mechanized assault and maneuver, life fire, helicopter assault and internal security training events off the coast of the UAE.Naval Amphibious Force, Task Force 51 and the 5th Marine Expeditionary Brigade (TF 51/5) will be operating from the dock landing ship USS Pearl Harbor during the exercise.“USS Pearl Harbor and embarked 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit sailors and marines will conduct critical amphibious training with the UAE armed forces to enhance capabilities in critical mission sets inherent to the U.S. Navy-Marine Corps team operating within the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility,” said Brig. Gen. Frank Donovan, TF 51/5 commander. “Recurring training opportunities with our UAE partners supports the professional development of our forces and military-to-military relationship development and is in keeping with our shared dedicated efforts to ensure regional stability, security and prosperity.”“We look forward to training alongside the UAE Armed Forces on specific skillsets inherent to both of our units,” said Lt. Col. James Stover, the Combat Logistics Battalion 15 commanding officer and landing force commander of troops aboard USS Pearl Harbor. “This is an excellent opportunity to strengthen tactical proficiencies ranging from amphibious ship to shore operations, logistical sustainment from a sea base and ashore, and infantry tactics; everything we will be doing increases knowledge and cooperation between our two militaries to be better prepared to address security concerns together.” Share this article View post tag: US Navy US, UAE kick off amphibious drill Iron Magic
Show Closed This production ended its run on Jan. 4, 2015 View Comments Side Show Star Files Based on the true story of conjoined twins Violet and Daisy Hilton, Side Show is a moving portrait of two women joined at the hip whose extraordinary bondage brings them fame during the Depression era, but denies them love. The tuner features songs such as “I Will Never Leave You” and “Who Will Love Me As I Am?” It’s official! As previously speculated, after successful runs in both San Diego and Washington, D.C., director Bill Condon’s re-imagined staging of Henry Krieger and Bill Russell’s Side Show is transferring to Broadway. The musical will begin performances on October 28 at the St. James Theatre. Opening night is set for November 17. Erin Davie and Emily Padgett will reprise their roles as Violet and Daisy Hilton, respectively, on the Great White Way. Further casting and creative team will be announced later. The original Broadway production, directed by Robert Longbottom, opened at the Richard Rodgers Theatre on September 19, 1997. The show closed after 91 performances and received four Tony nominations, including a shared nomination for co-stars Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner. This marked the only time in Tony history where two people were co-nominated for the Best Actress award. Related Shows Davie’s Broadway credits include The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Grey Gardens, Curtains and A Little Night Music. Padgett has appeared on the Great White Way in Legally Blonde, Grease and Rock of Ages. Emily Padgett
By Steven McLoud / Diálogo September 24, 2019 Estanda was just one of 6,000 patients seen during USNS Comfort’s mission to Trinidad and Tobago, September 3-12. The ship is comprised of medical professionals from the U.S. Air Force, Army, and Navy, alongside participants from eight partner nations and nongovernmental organizations. Surgeons also performed more than 115 operations aboard the ship.The Comfort is currently on a five-month deployment to Central and South America and the Caribbean in support of humanitarian and partner-building efforts as part of U.S. Southern Command’s Enduring Promise initiative.Comfort is working with health and government partners to provide care on the ship and at land-based medical sites, helping to relieve pressure on national medical systems strained by an increase in Venezuelan migrants.Three months ago, Estanda was a sergeant in the Venezuelan army. He left the military and fled the country with his wife and daughter when he was unable to sustain his family with his meager salary. With food and resources becoming scarce, they decided to make the short sea crossing to Trinidad, which is only 7 miles from the northernmost point of Venezuela.According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the government of Trinidad and Tobago, there are an estimated 40,000 Venezuelans currently in the country.Estanda went to the medical site of Point Fortin on September 7, where doctors screened him and selected him for surgery aboard the ship the next day, where they were able to operate successfully on his elbow.“I can’t tell you how thankful I am that the doctors here were able to fix me,” said Estanda as he choked back tears. “I know the doctors said it will take some time for my arm to heal, but I need to find another job soon. My family needs to eat.”“When we’re at these sites, we try to see as many people as we can”, says Dr. Patrick Rooney, a U.S. army veteran and dentist with the University of California San Diego Pre-Dental Society. “We see them waiting for us and we realize the difference we can possibly make in their lives by helping them.”This is the third year Dr. Rooney has been working with USNS Comfort and he has been with the mission since the ship’s first stop in Ecuador on June 26. He will be with the ship through its last mission in November, when it departs from Haiti.“The smile on their face… that means the world to me. You know you’ve done a good job when you see that smile”, said Dr. Rooney. U.S. Navy Captain Gabriel Lee, a pediatrician assigned to U.S. Navy Hospital Ship USNS Comfort performs a checkup on an infant Venezuelan migrant at a temporary medical treatment site in La Brea, Trinidad. (Photo: U.S. Navy Mass Communication Specialist Second Class Bobby J Siens)
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A taxi driver was sexually assaulted by a registered sex offender who she picked up from a Port Jefferson hospital Tuesday night, Suffolk County police said. Police arrested 34-year-old Francis Barrios after he allegedly assaulted the woman while she was driving the taxi, and then again after the vehicle crashed. Barrios, who is homeless, was charged with assault, attempted rape, strangulation, and committing a criminal sexual act. He is scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday at First District court in Central Islip. Police said the woman picked up Barrios at John T. Mather Memorial Hospital and was assaulted inside the taxi, causing it to crash into a fence on Mount Sinai-Coram Road in Mount Sinai at 7:40 p.m. Barrios allegedly continued to sexually assault the woman after the crash, police said. Patrol officers responded to the scene after a passing motorist called 911, police said. Barrios was arrested after an investigation at the scene of the crash, police said. Authorities did not say why Barrios was at the hospital. The police department is withholding the name of the cab company as to protect the identity of the victim. Barrios was sentenced to 42 months in state prison following a first-degree rape conviction in 2004, according to a database of registered sex offenders maintained by New York State. Barrios’ profile states the female victim in the 2004 assault was 12 years old.
50SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr Contributed post by: CUneXus SolutionsDoes anyone like applying for a loan? Not likely, according to recent studies. The results of the latest survey from carfinance.com naming the worst part of buying a new car may not surprise most people. Haggling over price, of course. The second worst part of the car buying experience? Getting a loan. Is anyone surprised?The turn offs to applying for a loan are many. When it comes to cars, to get a loan from the dealer, buyers have to spend more time with the outfit that just delivered the worst part of their car buying experience. But even that may be more attractive than a trip to the bank or credit union, where paper work and waiting for results can both be daunting. Other studies suggest that when it comes to loan applications, many people don’t apply because they are simply afraid to look at their credit score.While boomers are more patient with the traditional car buying experience, the millennial generation expects more. Most of their shopping and purchasing has been made extremely personalized, convenient and mobile—in the language of marketing, delightful. continue reading »
AVJennings is bridging a gap in the market for brand new architecturally designed homes and homesites in the sought after suburb of Bridgeman Downs, with the launch of a boutique new community called the Enclave.BRIDGEMAN Downs has always been renowned for its super-sized homes and massive lots, now it’s becoming a developers dream with two recently launched estates selling fast and proving the suburb is still a powerhouse on the northside.“Enclave” by AV Jennings and “Highfields” by Unison Projects are offering two different estate experiences and both are proving the surburb is still as popular as ever.Construction on both estates has started with Enclave offering 38 homesites and a collection of 15 architect designed homes to be built by AV Jennings.AV Jennings development manager Barry Young said Bridgeman Downs was a popular area for families due to its location just 12km from the Brisbane CBD with easy access to schools, shopping centres and parks in the leafy northern suburbs.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home2 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor8 hours ago“There has been little opportunity to secure a brand new homesite or house and land package in Bridgeman Downs in recent years, so Enclave is a unique offering,” Mr Young said.“The 15 beautiful homes being created will be built on homesites ranging from 450sq m to 490sq m and will feature a raft of luxury fittings and finishes.”The $100 million 134 lot subdivision at Highfields has also kicked off, with the first stage releasing 39 level lots next to 1.5ha of parkland. Highfields is a new $100 million estate at Bridgeman Downs.Unison Projects Shannon Down said Bridgeman Downs was a proven area that doesn’t have a great deal of new housing available.“There is a strong demand for quality housing in this popular area and already we have had a high level of interset registered in Highfields, which will offer residents a significant portion of green space in keeping with the area’s character,” Mr Down said.“Our plans for the gently sloping site will capitalise on its north-east orientation. The elevated parcel offers views of the Glass House Mountains and sea breezes from Moreton Bay.”